In addition to our general course offerings, we offer private training sessions to suit your company’s needs.
Training can be delivered in GVCA classrooms or at a location of your choice. Employees can also attend training remotely via Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT).
Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT) is a live online class that encourages participation. Our instructors have structured these classes to include group discussions, breakout rooms and/or demonstrations.
The advantages of Private Training:
- Convenience– Training can be delivered at your place of business, eliminating the need to coordinate travel.
- Adaptability to Change:Employee training enables organizations to upskill and reskill their workforce, ensuring that employees possess the knowledge and abilities needed to embrace change and contribute to innovation.
- Efficiency– Private training can be tailored to your company’s specific needs, goals and area of business.
- Cost– Customized corporate private training is typically less expensive than public training on a per-employee basis.
- Improved Employee Morale and Engagement – Engaged and motivated employees are more likely to perform at their best and contribute to a positive work environment. Training and education opportunities demonstrate that the company values its employees’ growth and development, leading to increased morale, higher engagement levels, and a more positive company culture.
*Geographical restrictions for on-site courses and minimum class sizes may apply.
Conestoga College is a recognized leader in hands-on Trades and Apprenticeship training. With a focus on practical learning, our education programs give students real-world experience through immersive workshops and industry partnerships.
Our state-of-the-art facilities are equipped with the tools and technology being used in today’s industry. Our programs are simulation-rich and take place in environments that mimic real job sites, so graduates are well-prepared for success in their chosen field.
We offer full-time programs, Continuing Education opportunities, and custom corporate training solutions that cover a wide range of disciplines to support the construction industry.
Full time programs include Carpentry, Brick and Stone, Electrical, Plumbing, Heavy Equipment, Millwrighting, Welding, and more.
Continuing Education courses include Gas Technician 1, 2 and 3, and Backflow Prevention Certification.
Conestoga’s Trades and Apprenticeship programs are designed with safety and sustainability in mind. Students learn the importance of responsible practices, equipping them with the skills to minimize environmental impact and contribute to a greener future. These principles align with the increasing focus on sustainability within the trades industry, giving Conestoga graduates a competitive edge.
Many of our Trades and Apprenticeship programs take place at our new state-of-the-art Skilled Trades Campus located in Cambridge, Ontario.
This new facility boasts the latest technology and resources. With spacious workshops, modern equipment and expert instructors, students are in the perfect environment to develop their skills, find their passions and forge a rewarding career path.
Conestoga College is here to support the workforce needs of the construction industry. For more information, or to learn how we can work together to develop a skilled workforce, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT’S NEW AT GVCA
Contractor’s Practical Guide to Change Order Pricing & Management
“Change is inevitable,” as the old saying goes. On construction projects, a more appropriate statement might be that “change orders are inevitable.” Change orders in construction projects are the most significant source of financial increases, disputes and schedule delays for general contractors, subcontractors, owners, and consultants!
Are you losing money on changes, schedule getting out of control, subcontractors not providing pricing on time, owners not issuing change orders when they should? Are you leaving money on the table and overlooking recoverable change order cost items? The “Contractor’s Practical Guide to Change Order Pricing and Management” workshop will provide the contractor with valuable guidance and working tools for effective change order management to increase the effectiveness in preparing for change orders, simplify the process and boost change order approval rates.
Working with the manual, that has over 25 example checklists, forms and letters, this workshop will guide the contractor through step-by-step procedures, checklists, forms, and letters that combine to create the blueprint for the successful submittal of proposed change order pricing and issuance of change orders.
WHAT’S COMING UP FOR FALL 2023
Project Planning for Success
Effective and thorough project planning prior to commencement of work on a new site is essential to the overall success of any construction project. Often focus is mainly directed at winning the work and a rush to start the job, rarely is there adequate time given to taking the time and planning the work in advance.
Exclusive to this workshop is a comprehensive manual that is used as a reference and guide throughout the sessions. The manual is based on accumulated knowledge gathered over 40 years in the construction industry. It is a valuable and effective tool that contains not only practical how-to’s, checklists and templates but will also be a foundation for new processes and procedures back in the office or on the jobsite.
CCDC 5A+5B: Construction Management Keys to Success
In this session, from a team of industry partners’ perspectives, you will gain an understanding of the Construction Management process, recognize when to use Construction Management as a delivery method and learn the roles of each partner for collaborative success. You will also learn to determine when and how to procure Construction Management services, identify tools and techniques to optimize Construction Management performance and grasp the nuances of the different forms of Construction Management contracts – CCDC 5A|5B (industry).
Microsoft Project for Construction
Microsoft Project for Construction will show the project manager how to plan, monitor and schedule projects using resources such as people, equipment, time and money. This course will demonstrate how to effectively track and analyze projects with a better understanding of the impact of changes.
CCA Subcontracts 101
80% of the people managing Construction Contracts do not read, do not understand or are not following the Construction Contract in place between the two organizations!!! This create problems for both the Contractor and the Subcontractor (and Sub-Subcontractor). The Canadian Construction Association publishes standard documents for the Construction Industry. This is a workshop on the various CCA Sub-Contracts with an emphasis on the roles and responsibilities of the Contractor, the Sub-Contractor and the Sub-Sub Contractor.
Join us in September for Construction 101 and Beyond
No matter how long you have worked in the business you simply can’t know everything – or remember everything! Construction 101 and Beyond is a comprehensive 4-day program ideal for contractors, subcontractors, suppliers and administrative staff. It is mandatory for the Foreman Gold Seal accreditation.
You will engage in learning activities that will enable you to better understand project delivery from concept to closeout.
Topics include procedures, laws and processes that will focus on topics such as an introduction to the Construction Industry, Methods of Construction Procurement, Construction Documents, Tendering, Bidding and Award of Contracts, Format of Contracts, Laws, Standards and Procedures in Construction, Risk Management in Construction and Construction Project Management and Administration.
Learn on your terms! We offer the following courses that can be accessed 24/7:
- Leadership: Personal Productivity and Time Management
- Construction Industry Ethics
- First Level Supervisor Training Program
- Construction Project Management
- Construction Law
- Canadian Construction Contract Essentials
- Communication, Negotiation, Conflicts Resolution
- Introduction to Understanding Systemic Racism
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training
- Working in Respectful and Inclusive Workplace
Click Here & See Online Courses
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY TRAINING
We hold in-class courses for the following:
- Approved Working at Heights – Full Course
- Approved Working at Heights – Refresher
- Elevated Work Platform
- Forklift Operator
- Telescopic Handler
- 0 to 8 Ton Crane
- Confined Space Entry
- Chainsaw Operator Safety
- Quick Cut Saw Operator
- Qualitative Mask Fit Testing
- First Aid – Emergency and Standard
Email Matt @ GVCA for dates and registration
- Forklift Awareness,
- WHMIS 2015
- Confined Space Entry Awareness
- Lock Out Tag Awareness
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Worker Health & Safety Awareness
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Safety in the Workplace
- Respect in the Workplace
- Train the Trainer
- And much more!
Click Here & See Online Training Portal
Click Here & See Course Calendar
Health and Safety Excellence Program:
Five Questions in Five Minutes
- What are the features of WSIB’s HSEP?
- Rolling enrollment. You DON’T have to wait until the calendar year to join – you can sign up at any time.
- Individual assessment. Work on your time, at your pace.
- Increased flexibility. Choose 1-5 topics to work on in a 12-month period. These topics can be chosen based on what works best for you and your organization.
- Cheque rebates are issued quarterly; and
- 36 topics to choose from to optimize your Health & Safety Management System.
- What are the benefits of joining?
- Reduced risk of hazards and a better health and safety culture in your workplace
- Rebates on premiums and money saved by improving your safety experience (improved Health & Safety has been shown to increase productivity and profitability)
- Recognition to show employees, customers, and investors your commitment to health and safety.
- Opportunities to network and share best practices with other like-minded businesses.
- How much can I expect for a rebate?
$1,000 – $50,000 per topic. There are many variables that impact your rebate amount; for a more accurate estimate please use the WSIB Rebate Calculator online. In 2020, the average annual rebate for GVCA’s HSEP members was $7,419.00 per firm.
- How long does it take to implement each topic?
Our program facilitator will work with you to select issues that are a priority for your business. Some topics may take longer if they are highly customized to your particular needs, or require new structures and processes. Other topics have a more standard approach, such as First Aid which has regulated requirements and may take less time to plan.
- How do I get started?
Contact Matt at email@example.com or 519-622-4822.
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED for all courses. To register, or to request additional info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 519-622-4822, or visit gvca.org.