In fact, the older the facility, the more likely the panel map is not labeled correctly, if at all. Considering that up to now, the contractors making the changes to the panel were only responsible for their piece of the puzzle, the older the facility, the more likely the panel is to be labeled incorrectly. The Electrical Safety Authority states that, in the five-year period between 2016 and 2021, over 36,000 permits failed a review due to defects related to Rule 2-100-3 Panel directory labeling, prompting a code change effective March 2024.
Canadian Electrical Code change March 2024
Clear proper identification for all electrical equipment is now required Canada wide. As of March 2024, any panels found out-of-date during a permit inspection will be required to be updated.
CE Code Rule 2-100 Marking of Equipment:
At each distribution point, circuit breakers, fuses and switches shall be marked, adjacent thereto, in a conspicuous and legible manner to indicate clearly:
- a) which installation or portion of installation they protect or control
- b) the maximum rating of overcurrent device that is permitted
ADDITIONAL LANGUAGE TO BE ADDED:
In other words, changes are retroactive, effectively making the electrician performing any change to the panel board responsible for the marking of the entire panel board. Prior to this change taking effect in March 2024, an electrician making a change to the panel board was only responsible for marking the item they have changed, now any change to the panel board whatsoever makes that electrician responsible for marking the entire panel board per subrule 3.
So what can be done?
In the bustling era of technological advancements, the demands for more sophisticated electrical infrastructure are skyrocketing. Amidst this electric evolution, a new local player has emerged with the promise to streamline the way businesses handle their electrical systems:
Imagine a world where electrical issues are identified and resolved in a fraction of the time. Enter CircuitIQ: a groundbreaking tool reshaping the future of electrical system management. This company has positioned itself as the leader in electrical infrastructure management, offering innovative solutions designed to simplify complex electrical systems, ensure safety, and optimize performance.
Simplifying Electrical Complexity
At its core, CircuitIQ is dedicated to simplifying the complex web of electrical circuits found in buildings today. By leveraging the power of technology, CircuitIQ demystifies the complexities associated with electrical circuit management, enabling facilities managers, electricians, and building owners to maintain an organized, accessible, and efficient electrical infrastructure.
Innovative Features and Benefits
Circuit IQ offers a multitude of features that distinguish it from traditional circuit management practices:
- Digital Mapping: With CircuitIQ, gone are the days of cumbersome circuit directories. It creates a dynamic digital map of a building’s entire electrical system, which is easily accessible and updateable in real-time.
- Labeling System: platform introduces an intelligent labeling system, using the Brady M211 eliminating the guesswork from identifying circuits, reducing the risk of errors and increasing safety during maintenance.
- Maintenance and Upkeep: Through its innovative dashboard, CircuitIQ facilitates seamless monitoring and maintenance of electrical systems, ensuring that any potential issues are identified and addressed promptly, thereby preventing costly downtime.
- Integration and Collaboration: CircuitIQ fosters collaboration among team members by allowing multiple users to access and update the circuit information, ensuring that everyone is on the same page regarding the building’s electrical status.
- Compliance and Safety: This digital mapping technology ensures that electrical systems are managed in compliance with relevant regulations and standards, thereby prioritizing the safety of both personnel and the building’s inhabitants.
Join the revolution. Embrace the future. Connect with CircuitIQ.